I'll answer all the responses I got at once:

#1 response - Does it have the 'interact with desktop' checkbox on in
the service definition?
#1 answer - No it didn't. I tried that and it didn't work. See below
for output of another test I did.

#2+3 response - Is your PATH set in the system/environment control
panel as a System Variable?
#2+3 answer - Yes. All environment variables are set as System
Variables in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables

I ran 3 tests. Using the <property environment="myenv" /> task, I
loaded up all the environment variables. I ran it three ways.

1. As a service, with the "interact with desktop" option enabled.
2. As a service, logging on as a local Administrator account.
3. In a command prompt.

The following variables get set with all 3 methods:

VCSID
PROMPT (Not set via Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER
TEMP
JAVA_HOME
ComSpec
USERPROFILE (Not set via Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
windir
TMP
OS
NTRESKIT
ProgramFiles (Not in Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
SMS_LOCAL_DIR
Os2LibPath
PROCESSOR_LEVEL
PROCESSOR_REVISION
COMPUTERNAME (Not in Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS
PATHEXT
CommonProgramFiles (Not in Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
SystemRoot
SystemDrive (Not in Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
ALLUSERSPROFILE (Not in Control Panel...>Environment Variables)
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE
ANT_HOME
SYSTEM_ROOT

When I run it as a Service, interacting with the desktop, that's all I
get.

When I run it as a Service logging on as a local Administrator, I get
all of the above plus:

USERDOMAIN
USERNAME

When I run it in a Command prompt I get everything in the first list
plus:

USERDOMAIN
USERNAME
HOMEDRIVE
APPDATA
LOGONSERVER
HOMEPATH
PATH

That jog anything?

time to start digging into Execute.java's getProcEnvironment()
method????????