Assuming that you're VAX is running a flavor of VMS, you'll have to vary
your syntax some more.  Most VMS ftps would do some type of file mapping,
but I don't know if ANT turns that on.

Directories and files on VMS look like this:

         DISK1:[HOME.GENTLEJK]login.com

IIRC, the TGV Multinet FTP implementation could handle this path in UNIX
like syntax:

         /disk1/home/gentlejk/login.com

I don't remember what Digital's own FTP implementation did.

Can you make command-line FTP work to this box?
What output do you get from "ant -verbose?"