A request . . . .

I believe that the only two ways of defining the association between a
custom
ant task and the class which contains the logic for the task are to include
<taskdef> statement in every build.xml which uses the task, or to modify
the
org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/default.properties.

Including a <taskdef> in every build file can get tedious, especially if
one
defines many custom tasks.  But there are good reasons why we don't want
to munge ANY of the contents of ant.jar (mainly because of the headaches
that would create in making sure that we get a modified ant.jar into the
hands
of every customer who needs one, and so that some customer doesn't
decide to upgrade ant on their own and download a copy from Jakarta, thus
losing our custom task definitions, etc.).

Any hope of teaching ant to recognize a .properties file which lives
OUTSIDE
ant.jar as a file which defines home-grown ant extensions?  Maybe call it
extensions.properties or something?  Or perhaps better still, define a
'custom.task.defs' property which we can set and thus specify our own
.properties
file?

Thanks for your consideration,

--dave