I think I know what the original post is about, or maybe it's just
similar to my own situation. Mine is with creating EJB jar files for hot
deployment.

In general, though, if (1) you are creating many different jarfiles off
of one build, (2) each jarfile has a core class or classes, and (3)
may/may not have other class  files needed by the core class(es), then
you have the potential for a maintenance nightmare. You either
_manually_ keep track of the dependency classes needed by each core
class/jar, or, as I have done, you wipe the classes (javac destdir)
directory, compile the core class and let javac pick up the
dependencies, jar, then repeat for each jar. This is very wasteful and
time-consuming, since you end up compiling the same classes when they
are used in more than one jar. Worse still, since you had to wipe the
classes directory, there's no way of knowing if you REALLY needed to
rebuild each jarfile....Ant's jar task will rejar everything since all
the .class files are "new" each time.

So yes, javac picks up the dependencies quite well, but it's not suited
for determining jar file contents.