> Thanks for that Gordon - thing is that is what I tried at first and it
didn't work for me, it was finding the new rt.jar but not running the 1.4
compiler (ant was running in a 1.3 VM).  However I didn't have any of the
extdirs, source or target attributes set, but I don't think that would be
the difference?

The trick is to run Ant using a 1.4 VM and then change the javac tasks so
that the 1.4 compiler uses 1.3 settings (rt.jar, no asserts, etc.), i.e.
"cross-compiling". The source and target attributes are required when using
the 1.4 compiler to generate 1.3 classes. The 1.3 rt.jar in the
bootclasspath ensures that your 1.3 classes don't reference JDK 1.4 classes
like java.nio.

Ciao,
Gordon