Yes, it was.  I didn't realize I could put my patternset definitions inside my
initialization target.  Its not as clean as lazy property evaluation would be,
but it is acceptable.  Much thanks!

Mike

     <target name="init" depends="unit.check">
        <unitproperties unit="${unit}"/>
        <patternset id="dir.pattern" includes="${dir.pattern.list}"/>
     </target>