----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Logemann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: parsing a task output for further processing

> >> The point is, i want to stop my app (maxbahr) only if it running, cause
> > otherwise i will get
> >> a build error on the tcstop task.
>
> > sounds like a defect in the implementation of the tcstop task; it should
> > have an attr that states whether you care if it stopped or no'.
>
> yeah, that also comes into my mind. Perhaps i should fiddle with the task,
but
> on the other side i think that this cant be, i have some respect in the
releases
> of the tomcat guys :)

no, just fix it. :)

> But before coding an crazy ANT workaround for this (dont know if this is
even possible,
> cause ANT is not really a programming language :)), i should really check
the task
> source code.

the task isnt complex. It is making an HTTP get against the manager, then
looking for OK at the start of the response. Here is the removal code
without a test for it passing, or the tomcat tasks

  <!-- remove code on a remote catalina instance -->
  <target name="remove-remote-app"
      depends="build-remote-urls">
    <property name="status.file"
      location="deploy-${target.server}.txt" />
    <get
      src="${target.manager.url}/remove?path=/${target.appname}"
      dest="${status.file}"
      username="${target.username}"
      password="${target.password}" />
    <loadfile property="remove.result"
      srcFile="${status.file}"/>
    <echo>${remove.result}</echo>
  </target>

Were I ever to sit down and sort out tomcat's deployment, I'd go for an XML
response so it'd be easier to parse.