What I'd like to know is how often does your organization build?
- nightly
What events lead up to your builds?
- every night, and major releases
How involved are the individual developers?
- limited in the build process, but empowered
How do you progress from a unit test build to a system test build?
- two distinct phases:
  - unit tests run nightly after build
  - system test runs in separate environment (test lab) that is an
end-to-end testing suite developed in tcl. we are in the process of
integrating this with our nightly build process.

as far as having to run after errant code being applied to the build
process, make sure you are using some form of cvs repository (we use
Rational ClearCase (no endorsement)). if developers are caught checking in
code that does not compile, they should be punished as such (ie: bring
donuts/snacks/etc. for the rest of the team the following day). it shouldn't
be the "build master" who manages the code base, but the developers.
(although the build master is usually a developer too).

d.