----- Original Message -----
From: "Garrett Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ant Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: How does Ant find classes? Exploring class files with
happyaxis.jsp

> Steve,
>
> I found javax.mail. It was in googleapi.jar. I didn't suspect that because
> did not get that error for a long while. I was running the app fine with
> googleapi.jar in my CATALINA_HOME/common/lib folder. From now on, I'm
going to
> put all add-ons that don't come from Sun in <app>/WEB-INF/lib.
>
> I think I am on the way to solving my problem.
>
> Note:
> +"java.* or javax.* packages into CATALINA_HOME/commons/lib";
>
> Should say:
> common/lib, not commons/lib.
>
> Very useful prog, though.

its very, very useful. Its the second thing I <get> after deployment; first
is a timestamped properties file. And there is an httpunit test under axis
to make sure everything is happy -the JSP throws a 500 if any of the needed
files are missing. Customise it for your own project to make sure the jars
you need are all searched for in one place, rather than have mysterious
failures over time.

See also ch12, 'web apps', in Java Development with Ant, from which
happyaxis.jsp originated. There we have a nice taglib that does all the
tests, the jsp is a standalone instantiation, which has the advantage of
drop-in use.