back to your original question if you
want to be able to invoke each project's build.xml
separately from global.xml,
what you could do is to put each <ant> call
into a separate target, e.g.

<target name="inventory" depends="init">
        <ant dir="${inventory.home}/src" target="core" />
</target>

<target name="shoppingcart" depends="init">
        <ant dir="${shoppingcart.home}/src" target="core" />
</target>

<target name="buildall" depends="inventory, shoppingcart, ...">
</target>

then you can invoke Ant as:
ant inventory
ant shoppingcart

or

ant buildall

(of course you can make buildall default target etc.)

~Alexei