I tried to build ant itself on a Windows XP machine and it stopped with the following message:

[...]
... Done Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Files\Java\j2sdk1/4/1\lib\tools/jar;bootstrap\lib\optional/jar;bootstrap\lib\ant/jar;lib\optional\xalanj1compat/jar;lib\xercesImpl/jar;lib\xml-apis/jar;bootstrap\lib\ant/jar;

I removed the quotes from "%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar" and "%JAVA_HOME%\lib\classes.zip" and it worked but I had to remove the corresponding quotes in the built version as well.

I compared the batch-file to the one from ant 1.4.1 and that one doesn't use the quotes mentioned. Should they be removed in the 1.5.1 script or is there a problem in my environment?

Cheers,
Christian