hi again everyone.
i put this problem on the backburner a couple monthes ago, and now i'm back
to pick your collective brains again!  =)  i wasn't able to get jspc working
with my jsp's that were using taglibs, and now i've got some more
information about what may be going on.  here is the information i get from
running jspc:
  [jasperc] 2002-12-09 12:05:30 - Java file name is:
C:\brown_dev\srcroot\bcs\temp\jsp\\current_0005fstatus_0005fnew.java
  [jasperc] 2002-12-09 12:05:30 -
  [jasperc] Handling Directive: taglib
org.xml.sax.helpers.AttributesImpl@1d85f79
  [jasperc] 2002-12-09 12:05:30 - error-the file '\current_status_new.jsp'
generated the following parse exception: org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
XML parsing error on file /WEB-INF/taglib.tld: (line 307, col 39): The
string "--" is not permitted within comments.

it appears to be complaining about my taglib.tld.  i'm using xdoclet to
generate this file and for some reason the formatting is all on one line
with no carriage returns.  i've included the taglib.tld as an attachment
since it's kind of big.  i think it's complaining about the DTD declaration
<!DOCTYPE taglib PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library
1.2//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-jsptaglibrary_1_2.dtd";>
i'm running from behind a firewall, so could it be that jspc tries to
resolve the dtd for validation????

i think i'm much closer at figuring this out than before, but i would
greatly appreciate any help out there!  thanks.

Ryan J. Sonnek
Brown Printing Company
J2EE Application Developer
507.835.0803