----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Slatcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ant Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2002 06:31
Subject: Re: Ant-Editor Integration

> You can execute Ant targets from NetBeans.  NetBeans is however
> particulalry annoying in that the editor marks as errors attempts to use
> classes that it does not know about, i.e. classes not "on its classpath",
> or "mounted" to use NetBean-speak.
>
> Even as I write this, I am evaluating JEdit..  Whilst it is not as
annoying
> as NetBeans, in so far as it does not nag it it cannot find a class, it
> obviously cannot help with code completion on methods it knows nothing
> about.  I was unaware of AntFarm - I'll take a look, thanks.
>
> Maybe I am being too fussy, but it would be really nice to get code
> completion, and to be warned about classes not on the path when they are
> missing from a specified javac command, and not to be warned if they are
> not missing.  That is what I was expecting from Ant-integration.
> Presumably editors/IDEs also need to know this class information if they
> are to run programs in a debugger.

I use IDEA, and take the hit of having to maintain both classpath settings.
But I do other tricks and have the source to apache projects I depend up
(like Apache axis) mounted as source dirs, so get really good integration
across the libraries I use.

(BTW idea3.0 is out, seems very solid so far, though I'd like to know how to
specify a different GC, as with the .bat way of starting the beta releases,
I'd moved over to the parallel GC in 1.4.01 to get rid of those long pauses
that java GUI apps have every so often, and now they are back.)