At 06:58 AM 12/27/02 -0500, you wrote:
The directory structure in that chapter is pretty basic (src/<package structure>, test/<package structure) and pretty typical, and last time I used NetBeans it was easily able to adapt to different structures by mounting the source roots appropriately.
yes, my problem is exacerbated by the fact that i am keeping the build file in the source tree.

I think Eclipse has a tougher time adapting to different directory structures. My philosophy is that an IDE must adapt to _my_ way of doing things rather than me having to make things tougher on myself to accommodate a tool. My builds run in a variety of environments (Anthill, CruiseControl, IDEA, command-line, etc) so tools need to be flexible enough to handle my structure, or I don't use them :)
i agree!

How are you finding that directory structure incompatible?
if i was using cvs, it would be no problem as i would check out the source and put it in source (more on this later)

As for the ".." issues you mentioned, at the very least you shouldn't have a LOT of them in your build file.
yes, there are only two.

Make a property at the top:

        <property name="root.dir" location="../../../../../../.."/>
good idea, i will do that.

And use the root.dir property wherever needed - or adjust the basedir on the <project>, and use relative paths from there and Ant will happily adjust for you. Your placement of the build file is pretty atypical though, and I question why you want to do it that way.

Erik
yes, i have noticed that my placement is atypical. but where else would you really want most of the build files? even if i was using cvs i would want it to be there and then it would be in down the src tree somewhere. so now i have to copy it to the "project" directory - not only do i have an extra directory, but i now have two copies of build.xml (yuck!).

obviously a build file for some massive project could/wants to hang out somewhere else, but most of my build files seem to be small guys that just make a jar or run a few tests. one would think that the logical place for *most* build files would be in the *package that it built*.

the only alternatives seems to be to create a tree parallel to com/tayek/.... and put build files in it or randomly place the somewhere? and this requires another directory for everything that gets built.

perhaps i am missing some real basic idea here?

thanks