In message <3e9d317c-f715-4208-ac13-9f874439e...@steffann.nl>,
Sander Steffann <san...@steffann.nl> wrote:

>How do you propose to distinguish people/companies with bad intentions
>(for some value of bad, let's assume "planning to send spam") from
>normal companies? It is certainly not self-evident.

It's an interesting question, but it is NOT one that is raised by the
specific case of AS204224, I think.  In this case, as I already pointed
out, the name of the company, as shown in the RIPE WHOIS record, *and*
the phone number also shown there, and perhaps also (I didn't check) even
the mailing address in the WHOIS are all 100% correct and accurate.  They
all appear to point to a real, and most probably 100% legitimate oil & gas
parts supplier.

In this case, the available evidence suggests that the identity of this
perfectly legitimate company was simply stolen, and then used by someone
totally unconnected to the real company in order to obtain a RIPE AS
registration.

If my theory is correct, then this could have been prevented, quite
simply, easly, and inexpensively, if RIPE NCC merely had a standing
policy of performing an automated phone verification step when registering
new entities and/or resources.  In this case, the verification call would
have gone to the real company, company personal would have been mystified
by why they were being asked, by an entity they had never even heard of
(RIPE NCC)  to verify a request for something they themselves had never
actually requested.  Thus, the phone verification step would have failed,
and the AS would never have been registered.  Indeed if this process
had existed, and if it had been applied also to the creation of entity records,
then the record for ORG-CM117-RIPE (CJSC Mashzavod-Marketing-Servis),
which itself was also only created on the same day as AS204224, would
also have failed the phone verification steps and would also have never
made it into the RIPE WHOIS data base.

>"Self-evidently" is a lousy argument. The routes may be bogus in this
>case, but how do you propose to distinguish bogus routes from merely
>unusual routes?

I don't.  In this specific case at least, the route announcements are merely
an end-stage _symptom_ of the actual problem, which is that one, two, or
perhaps three different fradulent AS registrations were accepted by
RIPE NCC and installed into the WHOIS data base.

Whoever is actually behind all this, whoever is actually pulling all of
these shenanigans, that party quite obviously believed that they were
going to be in some way better off if they began by registering some
actual AS numbers, getting those registrations accepted by RIPE NCC, and
getting them properly installed into the WHOIS data base.  So that's
precisely what they did.  My best guess is that they believed that this
step would help them to evade detection for a longer period of time,
e.g. relative to the alternatives, which include (a) announcing their
bogus routes using an unallocated/unassigned AS number or (b) announcing
their bogus routes using someone else's already properly allocated and
assigned AS.

I can only agree with the thoughts and beliefs of the fraudsters in this
case.  If they had not been able to so easily steal the identity of an
pre-existing legitimate company, then their scheme to route bogus address
space might have been detected earlier, and perhaps even prevented altogether.

>> The issue isn't the announcement of out-of-region IP space.  The issue
>> is the self-evidently fradulent nature of the registration of, and the
>> WHOIS record for, AS204224.
>
>Again that lousy "self-evidently" argument. Please don't use that, it is
>often used by people who don't have any better arguments and want to
>fool the casual reader into agreeing with them without thinking. Real
>data please.

Here is the contact data for AS204224:

person:         Boris Soloviev
address:        192284, city Sankt-Peterburg, av.Kosmonavtov 47, k.2B
phone:          +7-812-3630014
nic-hdl:        BS8826-RIPE
mnt-by:         CJSCMMS-MNT
created:        2015-07-21T17:43:59Z
last-modified:  2015-07-21T17:43:59Z
source:         RIPE

Someone needs to CALL the phone number listed there and simply ask if
Mr. Soloviev is available.  Once he is on the line, someone needs to ask
if he even works for Mashzavod Marketing Services, and if so, whether or
not he or his company requested an AS from RIPE NCC in early July.

I would do it myself, but I don't speak Russian.  (And I suspect that
there is no firm requirement that contact persons listed in RIPE WHOIS
records be even minimally profficient in English.)

>Again: what exactly do you propose to do with this data? How does this
>help us make better policies?

See above.

Two words:  Phone verification.

>How do you know that they don't have the right to announce those
>addresses? Is it unallocated space? In that case it's easy.

It _is_ unallocated (bogon) space in this case, so yes, it is easy.

>Maybe suspicious with hindsight. Nothing that RIPE NCC could/should have
>acted on when the request was made.

I disagree.

As noted above, I believe that a simple phone verification system, much
like the one already used by Google Voice, by CraigsList, by credit
card companies, and by countless other businesses would have prevented
what appears to be a clear-cut case of identity fraud.

>This policy refers to this policy on contractual requirements:
>https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-637
>
>Which includes:
>"the LIR is responsible for liaising with the resource holder to keep
>registration records up-to-date"
>
>"the resource holder is obliged to provide up-to-date registration data
>to the LIR and that some or all of this registration data will be
>published in the RIPE WHOIS Database"

It is certainly a Good Thing that resource holders are required to be
honest.  I have asked however what, if anything, RIPE NCC has done or
is doing to try to insure that they are not otherwise.

(In this country, everyone is told from an early age that they ought to
be honest.  But people still do lock up their bicycles anyway.)

>The RIPE Address Policy Working groups are where THE DECISIONS are made.
>It uses the Policy Development Process to reach those DECISIONS in an
>open and transparent way. If you don't care about the process: fine. But
>if you want to change policies then that's how you do it.

I have only learned/realized, during the course of this discussion, that
what I was suggesting (phone verification of the validity of new WHOIS
records) might represent a new policy.  And quite frankly, I am
stunned, amazed, and appalled to learn that existing RIPE policy
does not, apparently, already mandate that RIPE NCC should do at least
_something_ to verify the accuracy of WHOIS records.

I mean my God!  This isn't 1995!  There are literally trillions of dollars
of commerce flowing through the Internet on an annual basis now.  And
yet nobody thought that it might be a good idea to check to see if anybody
who has an IP block even really is who they say they are??

(It appears that it may be easier to present fradulent information to
RIPE NCC, and to have that accepted, than it would be to achieve the
exact same feat at my own local convenience store.)

>> Or were you trying, in a back-handed sort of way, to tell me that
>> the verification of phone and address parts of RIPE WHOIS records
>> isn't being done because it wasn't even ever considered as being either
>> necessary or useful enough to even insert the idea into the front
>> end of the meat grinder known as "The Policy Development Process" ?
>
>Policy usually doesn't contain details like that explicitly. It defines
>that registration data has to be up-to-date, and the implementation is
>done by RIPE NCC.

I take the strongest possible exception to your characterization of
WHOIS data accuracy as a mere "detail".

>The policies contain requirements for up-to-date data, and the RIPE NCC
>service contract does contain language against falsified, misleading and
>incorrect data.

Yes, and it is illegal to steal bicycles.  But people do still lock them
up at night anyway.

>The big problem has always been: how do you verify that data?

In the case of phone numbers, it is simple:  You call them.

In the case of street addresses, it is also simple.  RIPE NCC could ask
either UPS, or any one of the myriad companies that are in business
exactly and only to supply other parties with software and/or services
to check the legitimacy and accuracy of postal addresses.

This isn't impossible.  It isn't even hard.  It isn't even expensive.
This isn't rocket science.  Plenty of companies who need to deliver
products are already doing this, day in and day out, 365 days a year.

>The RIPE NCC covers a huge service region with many different
>jurisdictions. Some are politically unstable (this might be an
>understatement) like Syria and Ukraine. How do you propose an
>association based in The Netherlands like the RIPE NCC consistently
>verifies business records, phone numbers and addresses in such a variety
>of countries and jurisdictions?

See above.

For phone numbers, simply calling them would be a good (and, I would have
thought) obvious start.  Readily available VOIP services already make
this easy and fabulously inexpensive to any and all countries throughout
the world.

For mailing addresses, I respectfully suggest googling for "mailing
address validation" and start reading.  Again, this isn't rocket
science.  Numerous companies already offer this as a professional
service.  It is not expensive.

And you'll have to excuse me for saying so, but this nonsense you raise
about "political instability" is just that, nonsense.  Are people and
entities to whom RIPE resources have been given required to have a working
phone number or not?  Are all of the phone lines down in either Ukraine
or Syria?  And if they are, if these people don't even have working
telephones, then what the hell do they need the Internet for??  It would
seem that they have bigger problems to worry about.  Should we worry also
that the penguins in Antartica won't be able to obtain RIPE number
resources because they also don't have working phones?

>Complaining that "things should be better" is easy. But the RIPE NCC
>isn't a government entity or a business. It's an association of people
>and organisations. And the policies it implements are those decided on
>by the wider RIPE internet community, which is open to all. If things
>need to improve it is there that the work needs to be done. I have asked
>you a number of questions, and I think those are the questions that need
>to be though about and answered if you want to make things better.

You have thoughtfully replied, for which I thank you.  I believe that I
have done likewise.

>PS: And then you should also remember that not all resources are
>allocated or assigned to businesses. A private person can also hold
>address space and ASNs (popular amongst network engineers, but also for
>e.g. small associations and other groups). There needs to be a balance
>between public records and privacy there.

Wait just a minute now.

I've said, as clearly as I can, that RIPE NCC should be taking at least
some minimal, practical, and inexpensive steps to verify both the mailing
addresses and the phone numbers that appear in RIPE WHOIS records.  There
is no reason in the world that this cannot be just as easily done for
individuals as it can be for businesses.  Both have phone numbers.
Both have addresses.  There is no practical distinction.

But at the very last minute you have elected to throw the ultimate
spanner (or as we here say, monkey wrench) into the works, i.e. "privacy".
(And you'll have to excuse me, but I cannot help but think that you did
so in order to derail any progress on WHOIS accuracy.)

Is "privacy" actually a consideration when discussing the accuracy (or
lack thereof) of RIPE WHOIS records?  If so, when exactly did THAT happen?

Are we going to wake up one morning in the very near future and find that
the RIPE WHOIS data base, like the domain name WHOIS data base before it,
has fallen victim to the religious fervor and zelotry of the "privacy"
lobby, and that most RIPE WHOIS records, particularly ones behind which
lurk criminal activities, are masked and concealed behind dubious "services"
which cloak the true identity of the true registrant?

Is this kind of ludicrous and counter-productive "privacy" already a
stated RIPE policy goal?

Regards,
rfg