Ronald,

I'm not finding a great place to ask these questions in your conversation with Sander, so I'm going to ask them here.

You said, at one point, that you did not see the point in reporting these issues, or even just specifically the AS204224 issue to the NCC. Given the investigations you've done, I amn't sure why not? I accept that the goal should be to improve the process, but surely reporting on, and potentially dealing with, bad actors is still worth it if you've gathered all the data anyway?

However the core point here is I will, once again, extend an invite to you, to Suresh, to Sascha, to Jeffrey, to Aftab, to everyone on this list who is interested in this issue, to work on a policy that might help?

As Sander said earlier, the community works on policy. The NCC, whether they are technically able or not, will not put any such verification in place unless the community asks them to. This is the way this system works, from the bottom up.

This is something that Tobias and I have discussed bringing to the Database Working Group, but time has not permitted in this period between meetings. I fully intend to allocate time to work on this during the winter. But if you (all of you, any of you) want something done, then the Policy Development Process is the way to do it and the more people involved (to a point :) ), the better.

I do not believe the RIPE NCC are or should become the Internet police, for many reasons, but change is made incrementally in this community and maybe movement is possible in a direction that would be useful? And if we make a policy and it's wrong, we can make a different, better, policy. That's the beauty of it.

Thanks,

Brian