HI Niall

On 07/03/2016 17:48, Niall O'Reilly wrote:

On 7 Mar 2016, at 10:43, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

On 07-Mar-2016, at 4:08 PM, denis <ripede...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

The "abuse-c:" IS standardised. It is well defined and documented as
THE method of defining abuse contact details in the RIPE Database
according to the policy. Historically, as I mentioned in other
emails, there was "abuse-mailbox:" defined in 5 object types

Sure - but as you point out nobody much seems to be implementing it so
far - or at least, very few organizations.

So yes, I’d welcome abuse-c being implemented more widely.  I’m tired
of hunting up contact information from comment fields, in particular.

   I can imagine.  I've just taken a look at this thread
(https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2004-April/thread.html#2678)
about the plans to
   move away from depending on comments by defining and introducing the
"abuse-mailbox" property.

   You tell us that, 12 years or so later, you're still depending on
comments.

Your assessment is not accurate. Yes 12 years ago someone (I won't mention names) came up with the idea of adding "abuse-mailbox:" as a way to provide abuse contact details. However it was implemented in a way that was bound to fail. (Yes Gert I know you feel the same way about abuse-c now, but the situation is completely different.)

The "abuse-mailbox was added to 5 object types with not even any guidelines on how to use it. So of course users started adding it to the PERSON object, referenced in a MNTNER object, that maintains a ROLE object, that is referenced in an INETNUM object as admin-c. It seemed like the logical place to put it by the user at the time. But of course it was impossible to find it programatically with any confidence it was the right contact. We tried to write algorithms to find these references, but often got it wrong.

This was combined with the still popular usage of adding the abuse contact in remarks. It was this mess that prompted the introduction of abuse-c backed by a policy and made mandatory. So abuse-c does work and would work better if people did not try to evade their responsibilities.

We avoided having to clean up the tooth paste by laying another floor on top of it :)

cheers
denis

On Thu May 6 12:39:12 CEST 2004,
I wrote
(https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/db-wg/2004-May/002724.html):

[...] we (for some value of "we") have to devise a least-effort,
greatest-effect strategy for reaching "there" from "here".
I keep feeling we're still looking at tactics.

   I'm sorry to say that I see proposal 2016-01 as more of the same, and
a distraction
   from the real work.  Administrative imposition of some measure as
mandatory won't fill
   the gaps in the data.  Neither will having a more consistent data model.

   This toothpaste has been out of the tube since before the RIPE NCC
came into existence.
   By now, it's all over the floor. Cleaning it up can only be done by
crawling around
   between the cabinets and sanitary fittings with a spatula or damp
cloth, not by admiring
   the architect's proposals for how the bathroom might be remodelled.

   At least for for 2028 (12 years further on), we can hope that
pervasive adoption of
   IPv6 will have made Legacy IPv4 resources irrelevant.

   Best regards,
   Niall