Dear Sergey,

Thank you for your question. These are the kinds of things that our formal
impact analysis will cover in the Review Phase. This is the best time to
explore these topics in more depth.

However, our initial understanding is that the proposal aims to identify and
fix invalid abuse-mailbox contact information. The RIPE NCC would contact
resource holders and help them to update their information if necessary. Only
if an organisation was unresponsive or uncooperative over a long period would
we consider invoking the current closure procedure detailed in ripe-676,
"Closure of Members, Deregistration of Internet Resources and Legacy Internet
Resources". You can find this document here:
https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-676

It is important to note that the RIPE NCC has always been careful when invoking
this procedure, and does so only as a last resort. We would continue to apply
the same level of caution if this policy proposal is accepted.

In its current version, the policy change would only apply to RIPE NCC members
and holders of Independent Resources. "Abuse Contact Management in the RIPE
Database" does not apply to legacy holders, so they would be unaffected. A
recent policy proposal (2016-01) tried to add a requirement for legacy holders
to have an abuse contact, but it did not reach consensus:
https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2016-01

Kind regards,
Marco Schmidt
Policy Development Officer