Andre writes:
> probably, yes. if ai is advanced enough to deal with incoming
> communications in an acceptable fashion, this will be just fine.

> - your trust in your ai would be most commendable and as imho, ai will
>    be running everything in a few years anyway, this is perfectly
>    acceptable

Andre, please accept my apologies for writing about the "Turing test",
it was meant lightheartedly but has confused the issue. It is my fault
for being flippant.

I didn't envisage that a true AI would handle would such enquiries. I
was pointing out two areas that are problematic, separately:

1. The RIPE NCC may not recognise an auto-responder when they see it, if
it has been tailored to them specifically (and to achieving a formal but
spurious compliance); and
2. A response by a real human being may be just useless as a bounce
message, if constrained by policy. That is to say, if all the human is
permitted to do is choose from a small range of stock responses (such as
directing the person making the enquiry to some pre-written FAQ) then
this is equivalent to an autoresponder, so why prohibit (deem
non-compliant) only the automated response?

However from Hervé's reply I see that a less ambitious bar is being set,
and an autoresponder is acceptable, whether a human autoresponder or a
software one. I have my doubts that this really achieves anything
useful, but at least it is clear.

--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           Monument Place, 24 Monument Street London EC3R 8AJ

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929