We had to deal with 40+ invalid abuse contacts only for resources
registered to German holders in the past three months.
Most messages bounced with "user unknown".

We tried to reach out to the resource holders to get the invalid
abuse contacts fixed. If that failed, we reported the case to
RIPE NCC. With their assistance, a lot of additional cases could
be solved (thanks!).

It turned out that most of the contacts were not invalid because
the resource holders wanted to ignore reporting of abuse but due to
technical problems or the contact set to a personal mailbox of
someone who had left the organization. Many resource holders were
glad to be notified of the problem.

So while I'd still prefer a validation process that requires
human interaction to make sure messages sent to the abuse contacts
are actually read and processed, an automated check if the mailbox
exists at all would already help a lot.
I'd be glad if this automated check just for the existence of the
abuse mailbox could be done not only annually but probably even
twice or four times a year.

     - Thomas

CERT-Bund Incident Response & Malware Analysis Team