Hi Sascha,

El 20/3/19 15:14, "anti-abuse-wg en nombre de Sascha Luck [ml]"
<anti-abuse-wg-boun...@ripe.net en nombre de a...@c4inet.net> escribió:

    All,

    On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 01:41:22PM +0100, Marco Schmidt wrote:
    >A new RIPE Policy proposal, 2019-03, "BGP Hijacking is a RIPE Policy
Violation", is now available for discussion.
    >The goal of this proposal is to define that BGP hijacking is not accepted
as normal practice within the RIPE NCC service region.

    >You can find the full proposal at:
    >https://www.ripe.net/participate/policies/proposals/2019-03

    there has been a trend in recent years to make RIPE policy that
    transforms the NCC from a resource registry into a political
    agency to monitor and prescribe the behaviour of the internet
    industry in the RIPE Service Region by weaponising the NCC
    Service Agreement. This I consider harmful to the standing of
    the RIPE NCC as an impartial, non-political resource registry.

This has been one of our main concerns while developing the text, and this is
why we decided to find the right wording that ensures that is up to external
experts, not the NCC.

    The major point, even if you accept that the NCC has a mandate to
    act as a regulatory authority - which I want to state
    unequivocally here that I do NOT - against this proposal is that
    it is ineffective and a waste of time and membership funding:

    1. The procedures for policy violations in the RIPE NCC are
    restorative rather than retributive. If the NCC determines that a
    policy violation has occurred, the "offender" is given an
    opportunity to rectify the situation, if they do so the case is
    closed. Only if the "offender" refuses to cooperate or is not
    contactable is any further action taken.

I think this can be reconducted in other instances (NCC Services, membership
agreement, etc.), in order to ensure that you're waived from the first
violation, but not in subsequent ones.

    2. "Resource hijacks" are transient in nature. They persist,
    generally, only until the "offender's" neighbours take action.
    Yet, 2019-03 proposes a long, convoluted, costly process involving
    "experts", reports, appeals and the NCC Board. By the time this
    process has run its course, the "resource hijack" in question
    will have long faded from memory. So the end result of this
    proposed process is that the "offender" gets a report which it
    will, in all likelihood, consign to the round archive (ie the
    recycling bin).

    3. The time of the NCC staff and the Board will have been wasted. So
    will have NCC funding which we, as the Membership have to
    provide. The "experts" will in all likelihood not work for free
    either, indeed a cynic could argue that the main effect of this
    proposal is to let some "experts" dip their beak into NCC funds.

    4. I want to forestall the inevitable argument here that "we can
    make policy to have those evildoers thrown out of the NCC
    later!". No, you can't. The SSA and its contents are solely the
    domain of the NCC Membership and I sincerely hope that that body
    will refuse to ratify any proposal that opens themselves to the
    loss of the services of a monopoly provider on the say-so of some
    activist randomers on a mailing list. I know which way I would
    vote.

I'm not sure if he membership will really will not accept a change as the "1st
waiver, not 2nd one" that I introduced above. Why membership will support even
if is a 10% (just to put an exaggerated figure here) of membership acting
against all the community, which means extra cost for all (including the
members but not only)?

Regards,
Jordi

    5. If there is still any doubt, the above constitutes strenuous
    opposition to 2019-03.

    rgds,
    Sascha Luck

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com
The IPv6 Company

confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the
individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if
partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be
considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly
prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the
original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.