On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 01:41:22PM +0100, Marco Schmidt wrote:

> A new RIPE Policy proposal, 2019-03, "BGP Hijacking is a RIPE Policy
> Violation", is now available for discussion.

I have read the proposal version 1.0 as published on 13 March.

I believe that the proposers try to act with the best of intentions.

I also believe that certains occurences of "hijacking" constitute
unfriendly action, likely involving violation of crominal codes.

Looking at the supporting arguments however, I fail to see merit in any of them:

> BGP hijacking completely negates the purpose of a (Regional Internet)
> Registry.

This is unclear to me.  The Registry registers address space, not routes.

> This community needs to explicitly express that BGP hijacking violates RIPE
> policies.

This is self referential - it remains unclear how and why "BGP hijacking" would
violate
RIPE policies.  It is also unclear that other courses of action are either
unavailable
or unworkable.

> If nothing changes in this field, the reputation of the RIPE NCC service
> region will continue to be affected from a cybersecurity perspective due to
> BGP hijacking events.

Sorry, this is pure handwaving.

Looking at the proposal text itself, I fail to see what policy it actually
proposes.
Instead of defining policy it suggest to instantiate a court like system that
will,
without having either appropriate competence nor investigatory power, issue a
finding of
whether or not a "policy violation" has happened.  The only purpose is to
construct
a compliance case for the NCC to terminate membership and/or withdraw ressource
allocations
(or maybe assignments).
The topic of attribution is heavily discussed in a variety of fora and the
approach
chosen in 2019-03 is, at best, overly optimistic.
At the same time it is unclear why the RIPE NCC should even consider this
"policy"
in their compliance assessment.

That said, I wonder why this non-proposal met the threshold for being accepted
in the
first place.  Upholding my previous assessment, I do object to 2019-03.

The discussion phase has shown enough lack of clarity both in terms of defining
what should
be considered "hijacking" as well as questions of proper jurisdiction.
Therefore, I would
be highly surprised if this work of art would be declared ready for the review
phase.

best regards,
   Peter