* Marco Schmidt <mschm...@ripe.net> [2019-05-16 14:21]:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> A new RIPE Policy proposal, 2019-04, "Validation of
> "abuse-mailbox"", is now available for discussion.
>
> This proposal aims to have the RIPE NCC validate "abuse-c:"
> information more often, and introduces a new validation process that
> requires manual input from resource holders.

I oppose this proposal. We are doing a lot of work already to provide
valid and helpful contact information and even now I'm already annoyed
as hell about the current validation method.

I'm getting mails with subjects like:

SECOND REMINDER - ACTION REQUIRED: Confirm Abuse Contact Information
for your End Users' IP Resources

Apparently because "There was a transient network fault on the path to
the mail server.".

When I asked the RIPE NCC what that means and what we should do about
it I got told that I should do nothing and that I should not contact
them about single addresses being validated.

So I get mails every week with increasing CAPS RATE and being told I
should do nothing about it.

I'm already on the brink of just filtering all mails with "ACTION
REQUIRED" from the RIPE NCC.

So no, any proposal that causes even more time and effort  on our end
will probably have a converse effect to what this proposal is going to
achieve.

Validating abuse mailboxes will not make the bad guys go away.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x58A2D94A93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant