Hi Volker,

I don’t agree with that, because:
I believe the electricity sample I provided proves otherwise. My contract is
with the electricity provider (the Internet provider), so I need to complain to
them and they need to follow the chain.
For a victim, to complain directly to the customer (not the operator), will
need to know the data of the “abuser” which may be protected by GDPR.
Customers sign a contract with the operator. The contract must have clear
conditions (AUP) about the appropriate use of the network. If you act against
that contract, the problem is with the operator, not victims.

By the way, if an operator has a badly designed AUP, either they are doing a
bad job, or they have *no interest* in acting against abuses.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet

El 16/1/20 15:44, "anti-abuse-wg en nombre de Volker Greimann"
<anti-abuse-wg-boun...@ripe.net en nombre de vgreim...@key-systems.net>
escribió:

Obviously every user should lock their doors / protect themselves against
fraud. I am just saying that the ability of many service providers to curtail
abuse of their system (without impacting legitimate uses) is very limited as it
may not their customers doing the abusing and any targeted action against those
customers themselvesd would be inappropriate and affect many legitimate users
of their services.

At what point should a network service provider remove privileges from a
customer that is himself being abused but is technically unable to deal with it
properly? Would the complaint not be better directed at that customer, not the
provider, since they are the ones that can resolve this issue in a more
targetted and appropriate manner? How does the service provider differentiate
between a customer that is abusing vs one that is being abused?  Deputising the
service providers will not necessarily solve the problems, and possibly create
many new ones.

In the domain industry, we were required to provide an abuse contact, however
the reports we get to that address usually deal with issues we cannot do much
about other than pulling or deactivating the domain name, which is usually the
nuclear option. So we spend our time forwarding abuse mails to our customers
that the complainant should have sent to the customer directly.

Best,

volker