Hi Carlos,

Carlos Friaças wrote on 09/05/2020 22:25:
On Sat, 9 May 2020, Nick Hilliard wrote:
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote on 09/05/2020 15:23:
Having one might at least lay this discussion to rest once and for all. I?ve seen variants of it for several years now.

But imagine if someone contacted a bunch of their colleagues and said: "look, there's this policy proposal going on in RIPE AAWG and it would be really great if you could just join up on the mailing list and add in a +1, thanks!"

Therein lies the problem - or at least one of the problems - with voting: it's wide open to manipulation.

Same goes for "it takes only 2 or 3 voices to break consensus".

Even if arguments are somewhat "creative"...

no, and in fact this is the point of consensus. It depends on informed judgement and assessment, not a handful of dissenting voices, or people shouting, or votes or anything else. It's worth reading RFC 7282. There is a lot of wisdom in that document.

In the sense that you're concerned that there's stalemate regarding some of these proposals, there isn't according to the PDP: no consensus is a legitimate and clear outcome, and when there is no consensus, the policy does not proceed.

The *proposal* does not proceed... the policy can already be in place, but remains unchanged.

The existing reached consensus despite a number of dissenting voices :-)

Personally, I think the policy does more harm than good, but it is what it is. I'm not going to put in a proposal to remove it because that probably wouldn't reach consensus and it would end up wasting working group time.

Nick