Hi whoever you are,
(typically it's not a good sign, if you need hide behind an anonymous
alias).

I think the comparison to phone numbers is bad, that area is plagued by
very similar issues. But I get you point.

I think it's not feasible that you need to somehow proof you are
legitimate, the same way you should not need to proof you're a honest
citizen before you get, e.g. an apartment.

What we need however is a standard of what is acceptable behavior and
use of the resources you get, together with a process to remediate
failure to comply and possibly sanctions. I.e. if you use your apartment
 for illicit things, what ever they may be (annoying your neighbors
through excessive noise, running a drug empire, ....)

That's what this group seems to consistently fail to come up with for
various reasons.

As a reputable VPN Provider you can be log-less and yet still follow up
on abuse. I would argue that actually doing so will make your service
better for the people that legitimately need it.

The VPN business is, not unlike the Domain business: A lot of greedy
people with big egos.

This is not a technical issue.

Best
Serge