Hi Denis,

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 1:51 PM ripedenis--- via anti-abuse-wg
<anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net> wrote:

[...]

> Over time, with large hierarchies, we could end up with very complex
> arrangements with objects, attributes and values that have been overlooked
> and forgotten about. Even though they may have been forgotten about they are
> still 'active' and queries will return the most appropriate abuse contact
> details, even if it is the wrong contact.
>
> There is no simple query that will return the details of such a complex
> structure of abuse contact data in the RIPE Database. So there is no easy way
> for a resource holder to review or manage these abuse contacts. Although most
> resources will only ever have one abuse contact for the whole hierarchy, over
> several years we could end up with the kind of data swamp we had before we
> introduced the "abuse-c:" attribute for the larger networks.
>
> Any user could write their own script to do more specific queries, parse the
> returned objects and work out the abuse contact data structure for their
> resource. It would require detailed knowledge of the RIPE Database structure,
> the abuse contact rules and would involve multiple queries just to get the
> data, which you then have to visualise.
>
> My reason for this NWI-1 was to suggest the RIPE NCC creates a tool or
> RIPEstat widget that would take in a resource and map out the abuse contact
> details for the whole hierarchy including that resource.
>
> Would this be useful, is it necessary or a waste of time? Please discuss....

Should I understand this as a proposal for a tool that is used to keep
the registrant informed about changes related to resources for which
they are responsible, or a tool to help other network operators and
users find the right place to send an abuse report?

Many thanks,

Leo