Hi Hans-Martin,

> looks like someone on this list had their PC and/or mailbox hacked, I got a
> "reply" to one of my mails trying to make me open some link (probably
> malware). This stuff is pretty common, but it feels a bit weird that it
> happened through someone who's active in anti-abuse and presumably not a noob
> :-)

I received a similar message on Monday supposedly ‘in reply to’ a message I
sent to the list nearly two years ago.

It may not be a list subscriber’s mailbox that has been hacked, it may just be
using a public archive of the list.  Whilst the “real name” in the From: field
was indeed the person I was replying to at the time (Suresh), the sender’s
email address did not match the name.

In my case the spam message originated from:

The sending IP address matches the SPF record for beatingart.com and from a
quick check doesn’t seem to be on the major block lists, so it could well be a
user in that domain has been compromised via phishing or some other means…

I must admit I had just deleted the message at the time, but perhaps worth
following up with <ab...@ionos.com>, assuming your message matches the details
of mine.

Cheers,
Rob