In message <ABdrBB0jYhxc80IBnfktLZxf6YnapVQHxqKeJFoSIGBISKB6gMAPc7nSa1wR
Va_v8BrYuk24D9cIkXWrobH5GP6glyx1OWikfNFwTb_jnBE=@protonmail.com>, Carlos
Friaças via anti-abuse-wg <anti-abuse-wg@ripe.net> writes

>Great for you and the networks you manage, unfortunately (in the ~75k
>networks/autonomous systems) there is still people around the world that
>accept
>and rely on simple signed papers by someone. Even if who signs it can't hold
>what they claim with the RIRs' trust anchors... ;-)

A key point that the article misses is that yes, LOAs can (and have
been) forged. However forging them is a criminal act (in the US it will
be charged under "wirefraud" statutes) -- and numerous of the criminal
proceedings which have been undertaken for theft of IP resources have
used the wirefraud statutes.

Yes, stealing a private key (or guessing a password to it) and then
creating cryptographic signed objects is also likely to be criminal but
it may be somewhat harder for courts to understand (and for the matter
for prosecutors to identify suitable caselaw that makes the current case
somewhat more open and shut).

[[ Also, I have been told that some forgeries are laughably inept,
whereas laughably weak passwords are a little harder to spot ]]

--
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755