Moldova leader suggests uniting army with rebels

CHISINAU, July 31 (Reuters) - The president of impoverished Moldova said on
Tuesday he would slash the tiny country's armed forces and proposed uniting
the army with rebel troops in the breakaway Dnestr region.

President Vladimir Voronin, who led his Communist Party to a landslide
election victory earlier this year, has said ending the simmering decade-long
conflict with Dnestr is a priority.

There was no immediate reaction to Voronin's proposal from the Dnestr capital
Tiraspol, the centre of a self-styled state which fought a short but bloody
war against Moldova in 1992.

"I will very soon send the Dnestr leadership a proposal to unite the armed
forces of Moldova and Dnestr into one organ," Voronin told a news conference
in the capital Chisinau.

He said he had decided to cut the country's 10,000-strong army to just 3,000.
The move is aimed at building confidence with Dnestr but also reflects
Moldova's woeful finances.

Parliament gave its approval on Monday to the sale of the former Soviet
state's last six MiG-29 warplanes, as well as 13 surface-to-surface missile
launchers. Defence Minister Viktor Gaiciuc said Moldova had no need of
aviation or artillery.

Russian-speaking Dnestr broke away from Moldova, sandwiched between Ukraine
and Romania, in 1990 over fears that an independent Moldova might unite with
ethnic kin in Romania.

Since taking office in February, Voronin has been much more active than his
predecessors in pursuing reconciliation with Dnestr although the separatists'
reaction has to date been lukewarm.

Dnestr maintains its own army of about 10,000 and regularly stages military
parades in Tiraspol to showcase its helicopters, armoured vehicles and
artillery.

"It will become clear that Chisinau requires more confidence building
measures than Tiraspol, although they are the ones who constantly demand such
things," Voronin said.

06:36 07-31-01