[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]
.
----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 10:25 AM
Subject: Nepal. Ruling class trembles

From: "Magnus Bernhardsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tuesday July 31, 10:06 PM

Nepal PM praises Maoist leader

KATHMANDU, July 31 (AFP) -
In a further sign that an end to Nepal's bloody five year Maoist insurgency
could be in sight, the country's new prime minister Sher Bahadur Deuba said
Tuesday the head of the rebel group was a "brave leader".

In his first public speech since being elected as the leader of the ruling
Nepali Congress (NC), Deuba said: "I regard Prachand as a brave leader and
take his press releases positively."

Prachand, whose real name is Pushp Kamal Dahal, is the chairman of the
Maoists, who have been fighting to overthrow the constitutional monarchy
since

On Sunday he released a statement saying his party was committed to finding
a political solution to the insurgency problem.

Deuba's comments, at a meeting with journalists and public figures, came
after the government and the rebels called a truce last week in the
violence that has killed more than 1,700 people in the past five years.

The Maoists had stepped up their attacks against the police in the
aftermath of the massacre of almost the entire royal family on June 1.

But last week Deuba, who took over from former prime minister Girija Prasad
Koirala, offered to sit down with the rebels.

And the Nepalese government released 15 detained Maoists as a
confidence-building measure for the talks.

At the meeting, Deuba admitted that a lack of sincerity from politicians
and their tendency to work only for power provoked the Maoists to rebel
against democracy in Nepal.

He said many of the leaders who helped to re-establish the multi-party
system in Nepal following a people's movement in 1990, had forgotten to
listen to the voice of the people.

"We have wasted over a decade doing nothing. Let's now do something for the
people," he said.

Leader of the opposition Nepal Communist Party-United Marxist and Leninist,
Madhav Kumar Nepal, said the Maoist insurgency was a direct result of the
government's excessive exercise of power during its tenure.

"The problem would be solved only if the government could explore the root
of the problem," Nepal said.

"The problem of Maoist insurgency is deep-rooted and associated with the
social and economic disparity as well as the chaotic political
environment," he said.

But he said the Maoist rebels were "as autocratic" as the NC party.

"We have seen that they want to uproot other political parties and their
beliefs by terrorizing the people nor are they sympathetic to the people,"
Nepal charged.

"What we have seen till today does not indicate that the government of
Maoists, if it comes some day, will give relief to the crisis-stricken
people," the communist leader said.

KOMINFORM
P.O. Box 66
00841 Helsinki