Belarus to Hold Maneuvers, Warn off Aggressors, Says
Minister

MINSK, Aug 7, 2001 -- (Agence France Presse) Belarus
will hold large-scale military maneuvers to warn off
any potential aggressor and prepare its army for
modern warfare, Belarus's defense minister said.

The massive maneuvers, which would involve interior
and emergency ministry troops and border guards as
well as the regular army, were scheduled to start on
August 26, barely a fortnight before the September 9
presidential poll.

"This would be a serious test for all participants,
and if you will, it's a test for (President Alexander
Lukashenko) as well," Defense Minister Leonid Maltsev
told Belarussian television late Monday.

"The fact that he had decided to take this test in
today's complicated situation means we are sure of
what we're doing," he added.

The Belarussian military aim to examine the army's
readiness to tackle modern-style warfare, including
local conflicts, and to test new types of weapons,
Maltsev said.

Some 10,000 troops, as well as over 60 tanks, 60
missile and artillery systems, and 40 military
airplanes and helicopters would participate in the
maneuvers.

The unprecedented scale of the maneuvers was prompted
by "alarming tendencies we note in Europe," Belarus's
authoritarian leader Lukashenko said, adding that such
training sessions should be held annually.

"Foreign countries boost their military activity close
to Belarussian borders. Belarussian people must be
convinced that their army can defend their peace,"
Lukashenko said.

"Even when we have no war, our army must learn so that
not only our people, but also foreign hawks knew that
our troops can withstand any aggressor at any given
time," he added.

Belarus, which had been largely isolated from the West
by its authoritarian leader's hostile policies, is
actively updating its army, and a massive overhaul is
due to be completed by 2005.

Minsk had been particularly alarmed at the fact that
Belarus's neighbors Poland, Latvia and Lithuania are
stepping up their armed forces in hopes of joining the
NATO military alliance. ((c) 2001 Agence France
Presse)

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/