[Like a vampire in an unimaginative B movie, the
Rome-Berlin-Tokyo Axis, thought to be long dead, is
back from the crypt.
German, Italian and Japanese military forces are
deployed abroad - in Southeast Europe and Southeast
Asia - for the first time since the end of World War
II; the U.S.-dictated post WWII Japanese constitution
(see Article 8), which expressly prohibits the
remilitarization of Japan, is now being brushed aside
- on U.S. directives - and Tokyo is both rearming and
preparing itself as a regional military power once
again, as is Germany.
And a necessary correlate of this undoing of the
results of the Second World War is a resurgence of
revisionist - and celebratory - interpretations of the
history of European fascism and Japanese imperial
militarism: In Japan, Germany, Italy, Hungary,
Estonia, Latvia, Croatia and elsewhere.
Everyone knows Santayana's warning; no need to repeat
it.]

Monday August 13 6:44 AM ET
Japan PM Visits War Dead Shrine Amid Controversy
By Linda Sieg
TOKYO (Reuters) - Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
paid homage on Monday at a shrine for Japan's war dead
that also honors war criminals in a move that angered
Asian neighbors and upset many on both sides of the
debate at home.
After days of dithering, Koizumi finally decided
against making a promised visit to the Shinto
religion's Yasukuni Shrine on August 15, a day that
resonates with symbolism around Asia as the
anniversary of Japan's surrender in World War Two.
A solemn Koizumi, dressed in a morning suit and
accompanied by aides, entered the shrine and bowed
once at the inner sanctum while a crowd of thousands
was restrained outside the gate by police.
Among them were not only protesters and supporters,
but also the popular Koizumi's usual gathering of
adoring fans.
``We should not engage in such a war ever again,创
Koizumi said after the visit. ``I paid the visit to
renew my pledge for peace.创
No Japanese prime minister has made an official visit
to Yasukuni since Yasuhiro Nakasone did so in 1985,
and Koizumi did not make clear whether his homage was
official.
His attempted compromise, however, immediately sparked
criticism at home and in Asia.
Beijing repeated that it was ``opposed to Japanese
leaders paying their respects and worshipping at the
Yasukuni Shrine to class-A war criminals.创
In Seoul, the government voiced ``deep regret创 and 20
South Korean gangsters cut off their fingers in a
grisly protest.
Koizumi first pledged to make a visit during an April
campaign to lead the ruling Liberal Democratic Party
(LDP), a move many say was aimed at winning support
from a powerful group of war veterans and politicians
who feel the war should be laid to rest now that more
than 50 years have passed.
The issue divided public opinion, upset a
Buddhist-backed coalition partner and outraged China
and the two Koreas, all victims of Japan's wartime
aggression.
Asked why he had changed his mind about visiting on
August 15, Koizumi said: ``As August 15 drew closer,
there were those at home and abroad who misunderstood
my true intentions.
``I want from the bottom of my heart to maintain
friendly ties with China, South Korea and other Asian
nations. It became evident that a visit on the 15th
would be interpreted in an opposite way and that is
not what I desire.创
CRITICISM ALL ROUND
Much of the outrage over Koizumi's visit stems from
the fact that 14 leaders convicted as war criminals by
an allied tribunal after Japan's defeat are enshrined
along with Japan's nearly 2.5 million war dead killed
in battle since the 19th century.
In a statement issued just before the visit, Koizumi
also sought to soothe the deep resentment much of Asia
still feels toward Japan over the war more than 50
years after its end.
``Toward our Asian neighbors, at one point in the
past, we conducted colonization and aggressive acts
based on a mistaken national policy and caused
immeasurable pain and suffering.
``I wish, in light of our country磗 regrettable
history, to take this to heart, express my deepest
regret and remorse toward all of the victims of war.创
Domestic critics, however, chimed in from both sides
of the debate.
``Yasukuni Shrine...enshrines those who died in wars
and justifies that action. Such visits should not be
allowed,创 Communist Party leader Kazuo Shii told a
news conference.
Those in favor of a visit faulted him for breaking his
promise to go on August 15.
``This gives the impression that he gave in to
pressure. I think confidence in the prime minister has
been damaged,创 said one conservative lawmaker after
the decision was announced.
It was hardly the sort of criticism the popular
Koizumi wants to hear as he begins to pull together
tough and painful economic reforms to fix the
long-stagnant economy.
SHOUTING PRO AND CON
Nearly a dozen South Koreans protested outside
Yasukuni, unswayed by his decision to alter the date
from August 15, which is also South Korea's Liberation
Day, marking the end of Japan's brutal 35-year
occupation of the Korean Peninsula.
``It磗 an insult to Asian nations, which were victims
of the Pacific War, and I view it as a revival of
Japan磗 militarism,创 said 57-year-old Kim Tae Sun.
About 15 radical left-wing students, some wearing
masks over their faces, also screamed slogans opposing
the visit.
Others, however, praised the prime minister for
fulfilling their hopes of homage, saying ``Thank you,
thank you.创 Some shouted ``Banzai创 (Long Life) as he
left the shrine.
Koizumi declined to clarify whether the visit was
official or private, saying merely he had paid homage
as ``Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi创 and had used
his own money to pay for a floral offering sent in his
name to the shrine at the weekend.
The prime minister Kiichi Miyazawa privately visited
the shrine in 1992, media say, but no public
announcement was made and in 1996 Ryutaro Hashimoto
went on his birthday in a private capacity.

http://im.yahoo.com/