http://www.ekathimerini.com/news/content.asp?id=95920

Today the Kosovo Liberation Army has thrown the region
into a crisis which could change the borders with the
clear tolerance, if not encouragement, of the world's
powerful. At the same time, a wave of political
comebacks threatens Bulgaria, Romania, and the new
Yugoslavia. And, of course, none of this will happen
in a peaceful fashion....

KATHEMERINI
ATHENS, THURSDAY, AUGUST 16, 2001

Opinion
History repeats itself...

By Giorgios Malouchos
At the dawn of the 20th century, the weight of
international politics had not shifted across the
Pacific as it seems to be doing now. It had not even
shifted across the Atlantic but was rather tossed
about on the seas of the English Channel. The USA was
just one country among many while Tokyo and Beijing...
were too distant to matter. On the contrary, Russia
did matter, while next to the English and the French,
the Prussians and the Austrians were also important
players... Ever since, the international playing board
has been transformed so many times and, often, so
violently that all these events do not merely seem
like history; they seem as if they never happened.

And still, the radical power shifts, the developments
in technology and the international proletariat have
not changed everything in their course. And we, even
if "we are first Europeans and then Greeks," we are
still Balkan citizens. And a hundred years ago, the
Balkans were again entering a period of violent
upheaval; and if one great victor emerged from that
upheaval then, no doubt, Greece was the one...

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/