Turkish Daily News
August 18, 2001

Turkey will send soldiers to Macedonia
As the tension continues in Macedonia, NATO has
commenced to deploy troops to Macedonia. Turkey
pledged to send 150 soldiers for an international
peace-keeping force which will work under the auspices
of NATO in order to secure a truce in this country.
A vanguard of 400 British troops started deploying in
Macedonia on Friday as NATO met to decide whether to
risk sending a larger force to collect arms from
ethnic Albanian rebels as part of a peace plan.
In Brussels, ambassadors of the 19 NATO governments
met and decided to send the full complement of 3,500
troops to Macedonia within two weeks. The 150 Turkish
troops will take part in this NATO force. Turkish
soldiers will be transferred from the Bosnian city of
Zenitsa where a Turkish brigade is still assigned for
duty. Turkish troops will carry out its task in the
region where the Turkish and Albanian population
dominates.
NATO forces are meant to stay for a lightning 30-day
mission to collect weapons due to be surrendered
voluntarily by rebels at the end of a six-month
conflict in return for political reforms favoring the
one-third ethnic Albanian minority.
NATO previously said it would not deploy unless there
is a durable cease-fire.
Ankara - Turkish Daily News

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/