[This from the universal exemplars of free, fair and
transparent electioneering, not one of whom could get
elected as a city councilman or village ombudsman
without selling his soul to a hundred dimestore
Mephistopheles; and who blithely gloss over the
intriguing irregularities in their own country's
presidential election only a few months ago.
But if the Western-selected opponent, who only
receives 10% of voter support in the latest poll,
doesn't win, there will be all hell to pay, as U.S.
Congressman Peter Deutsch reminds us below.]

U.S. Congress to Send Observers to Monitor Belarus
Poll
MINSK, Aug 23, 2001 -- (Agence France Presse) The U.S.
Congress will send a delegation to monitor the
upcoming presidential elections in Belarus,
Congressman Peter Deutsch told reporters here.
"The conduct of free, fair and transparent elections
is very important to the U.S. Congress, as
transparency in any election is critical for the
result to be accepted by everyone," Deutsch said.
"If the election is not free and fair, I fear that the
relations between the U.S. and Belarus will only get
worse. I sincerely hope that this will not be the
case," he added.
During his week-long trip prior to the September 9
election, Deutsch met Foreign Minister Mikhail
Khvostov, as well as President Alexander Lukashenko's
leading opponent, Vladimir Goncharik, and other
members of Belarus's downtrodden opposition.
The U.S. delegation would be helped by some 150 OSCE
observers, some of whom had already arrived in
Belarus, Deutsch said, adding that he himself would be
part of the U.S. mission.
The mission of the Organization for Security and
Cooperation in Europe earlier charged the Belarussian
authorities with impeding their work, citing numerous
restraints and delay in issuing entry visas, and
claiming that the results of their monitoring are thus
bound to be inaccurate.
The OSCE's relations with Belarus had been stormy,
with Lukashenko accusing the pan-European security
agency of engaging in "subversive" activities against
the country after the OSCE reported electoral fraud
during last year's parliamentary poll.
However, the authoritarian president appears set for
easy re-election next month as only three little-known
contenders are standing against him.
His main opponent, Goncharik, recorded only a 10
percent approval rating in a recent opinion poll.
The other two candidates are Semyon Damash and Sergey
Gaydukevich. They are both expected to step aside
later in favor of Goncharik. ((c) 2001 Agence France
Presse)

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/