Armed Clashes in Northwest Macedonia

SKOPJE, Aug 24, 2001 -- (dpa) Ethnic Albanian rebels
and Macedonian security forces exchanged fire in two
towns in the northwest of the country Thursday night
in the first serious violation of the ceasefire in
several days, according to Macedonian police.

The clashes began when rebels opened fire with
automatic weapons and mortars in Ratae and Zilce,
towns where numerous displaced persons have gathered
from the villages above Tetovo, police said.

The Macedonian security forces returned fire because
lives were in danger, the police added.

There were no reported casualties in the exchange.

It was the second rebel attack in the area since the
framework agreement on establishing peace in Macedonia
was signed on August 13 in Skopje.

It came hours after NATO troops began pouring into the
country Thursday to collect rebel arms and a day after
a formal NATO decision to commit 3,500 troops to the
operation.

(C)2001. dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/