The Irish Times
August 27, 2001

British solider killed in Macedonia
A British soldier travelling in a military vehicle
near Skopje, Macedonia, was killed after he was struck
by a piece of concrete, the Ministry of Defence said
today.

The man was taken to hospital but died from his
injuries this morning. Local reports said the concrete
was hurled by youths, but MoD officials said it was
unclear how the incident had happened.

The vehicle was travelling south of Skopje last night
when the incident happened, hours before NATO's
weapons collection mission was due to begin.

A British special investigations squad is helping
local police with the inquiry and the man's family
have not yet been contacted, an MoD spokesman said.

The spokesman refused to give details about the man,
the unit with which he was serving, or what he was
doing when the incident occurred.

He was believed to be from Aldershot, Hampshire.

Sources said his vehicle was driving beneath a bridge
when a local threw the missile, which the MoD said
shattered the windscreen before striking the man.

It was not yet known if there were other people in the
vehicle at the time.

PA

© The Irish Times/ireland.com

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/