[The same writer, in 1999, urged NATO to bomb
Yugoslavia back to the 1300s.]

"The only solution may be for Israel and the U.S. to
invite NATO to occupy the West Bank and Gaza and set
up a NATO-run Palestinian state, a la Bosnia and
Kosovo."

New York Times
August 24, 2001
FOREIGN AFFAIRS
A Way Out of the Middle East Impasse
By THOMAS FRIEDMAN
The Middle East conflict has gotten so violent and
depressing, you wonder how the two sides can ever find
a way out. We need a new idea. I'd like to propose one
— but first some background.
If you listen to the Israeli left, the only way out of
this stalemate is more talks with Yasir Arafat. I was
a strong believer in the Oslo process, because Oslo
was a necessary and worthwhile test of whether Israel
could produce a Palestinian partner for a secure
peace. It was a test the majority of Israelis wanted,
it was a test that contributed mightily to the
investment and prosperity Israel enjoyed in the
1990's, which helped absorb so many Russian
immigrants, and it was a test that made possible the
Israel-Jordan peace treaty, as well as Israeli
diplomatic missions from Qatar to Morocco.
It was also a test that Israeli leaders, from Yitzhak
Rabin to Bibi Netanyahu to Ariel Sharon, felt was
important enough for each to participate in
land-for-peace trades with Mr. Arafat, because they
each knew that there was no military solution and that
any long-term peace had to involve Israel's ceding
land in return for Mr. Arafat's providing security.
Finally, it was a test needed to unite Israel: a
majority of Israelis had to find out if there was an
alternative to permanent life on the barricades.
But at some point you have to say the test failed.
That is what Camp David symbolized. Mr. Arafat was not
willing to look his people in the eye and tell them
that 95 percent was all they were going to get and
they needed to make the best of it, nor was he willing
to acknowledge a Jewish connection to Jerusalem's
Temple Mount. Which is why I don't believe the left's
argument that more negotiations now with Mr. Arafat
will do the trick. Maybe Israel can still strike a
mini-deal or a cease-fire with Mr. Arafat, but not a
final peace.
That's right, says the Israeli right, so what we need
now is not more negotiations but more military
pressure; now is the time to crush Mr. Arafat and his
whole gang.
No one can criticize Israel for retaliating in the
harshest manner for suicide bombs in restaurants; no
country in the world would behave otherwise. But the
idea that there is a tipping point, where enough
military pressure on the Palestinians will get them to
say "uncle" and willingly accept some mini-mini-state
in the West Bank, is utter fantasy. Five million Jews
cannot sustain a military solution against five
million Palestinians and 95 million Arabs.
O.K., says the Israeli right, then just smash them and
then put up a wall around Israel. Another fantasy.
First of all, thanks to all the ideological Jewish
settlements that Israel has set up in the West Bank
and Gaza (recklessly cheered on by the American Jewish
right), Israel now has a huge strategic-political
problem.
If Israel keeps all the settlements and the Arab areas
around them, demographically it will become an
apartheid state or a non-Jewish state. If it tries
unilaterally to uproot some of the settlements,
without any commitments from the Palestinians, it will
trigger a Jewish-Jewish civil war. It will also
provide a huge victory for Palestinian radicals — who
will have gotten land for war. If Israel uprooted only
some settlements and put up a wall, it would leave
behind a chopped-up Palestinian mini-state that would
be totally non-viable. It would be a seething
cauldron, uncontrolled by Israel, that could easily
acquire heavier weapons from Iraq and become a
strategic threat.
In short, Oslo was a test that failed, but was aborted
before it was too late. The settlements are a
continuing, long-term threat to the entire Zionist
enterprise. So what to do? Staying in the West Bank
and Gaza will slowly destroy Israel from within, but
just leaving and putting up a wall could destroy
Israel from without.
The only solution may be for Israel and the U.S. to
invite NATO to occupy the West Bank and Gaza and set
up a NATO-run Palestinian state, à la Kosovo and
Bosnia. I'm serious. Israel can't stay in the West
Bank and Gaza and remain a Jewish democracy; but it
can't unilaterally withdraw, put up a wall and leave
an uncontrolled Palestinian entity there — without
creating a permanent threat to Israel's existence.
Nor, for that matter, can Israel trust Mr. Arafat
anymore to administer these areas properly. What is
needed is for Israel to turn these areas over to NATO
or a NATO- like force. The Palestinians can have their
state — but no army — under NATO's watchful eye.
It's a long shot, but it addresses the real problem,
and a future column will explain how it might work.

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/