A squadron of Turkish f-5 fighters staged a flypast to
mark the occasion, a move which earlier prompted
Iran...to express concern that the show was a veiled
threat to Iran.
Azerbaijan's growing cooperation with NATO is a snub
to Moscow, which believes the alliance is encroaching
on Russia's sphere of influence.

Azerbaijan's First NATO-trained Officers Graduate

BAKU, Aug 27, 2001 -- (Agence France Presse) The first
group of NATO-trained army officers graduated on
Saturday from Azerbaijan's military training college
in what Azeri President Heydar Aliyev called an
"historic event."

A squadron of Turkish F-5 fighters staged a flypast to
mark the occasion, a move which earlier prompted Iran,
locked in a boundary dispute with Azerbaijan, to
express concern that the show was a veiled threat to
Iran.

The graduation of the 650 officers took Azerbaijan, a
former Soviet republic which has long been in the
shadow of its northern neighbor Russia, a step closer
to its long-term aim of full NATO membership.

Azerbaijan is a member of the military alliance's
Partnership for Peace scheme, a halfway house on the
way to becoming a fully-fledged member.

The officers had been trained to NATO-standards by
instructors seconded from alliance-member Turkey.
Azeri officers have previously trained in Turkish
military schools, but never before at home.

"Today is an historic event in building Azerbaijan's
military and a new chapter has been opened," Aliyev
said at a graduation ceremony for the officers near
the Azeri capital, Baku.

He added: "Today's events are important in
strengthening the defense capability of our country.
Cooperation with Turkey is the basis of our military
successes."

The graduation ceremony was attended by Hussein
Kivrikoglu, chief of general staff of the Turkish
army, who also had talks with the Azeri defense
minister, Safar Abbiyev.

On Friday evening, a display of formation flying by
the Turkish F-5 fighters over Baku's Caspian
waterfront drew massive crowds which some estimates
put at half a million people.

A senior Azeri official told AFP that the visit by the
squadron was designed to show Tehran that Azerbaijan
had Turkey's backing in the row over the division of
the Caspian Sea, though officially any such intention
has been denied.

Azerbaijan's growing cooperation with NATO is a snub
to Moscow, which believes the alliance is encroaching
on Russia's sphere of influence. ((c) 2001 Agence
France Presse)

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/