"Ballenger emphasized that the United States spends $15 billion a year
battling substance abuse. "

"The House of Representatives last month passed a $15.2 billion foreign aide
bill that includes $676 million allotted for helping the Andean region fight
drug trafficking. The bill is awaiting discussion in the Senate.""

U.S. Defends Anti-Narcotics Policy
 http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010830/04/int-andean-drugs-summit

Updated: Thu, Aug 30 4:36 AM EDT
By ALEXANDRA OLSON, Associated Press Writer
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - Two U.S. congressmen defended their country's
efforts to combat drug trafficking in the Andean region, against criticism
that the United States isn't doing enough to fight drugs at home.

At the Andean Parliament summit on drug trafficking Wednesday, Rep. Cass
Ballenger of North Carolina and Rep. Mark Souder of Indiana answered concerns
that the United States is spending too much money on fighting drug
trafficking and too little on reducing demand.

There is a "misnomer that the United States is only pointing the finger" at
drug producing nations, Souder told representatives of the Andean Parliament,
which includes Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, Peru and Venezuela.

"It's important for you to understand that we understand we have a major
problem (with drug abuse), and we are trying to tackle it," he added.

Souder listed several initiatives to reduce drug consumption in the United
States: suspending federal student loans for those found to have abused
drugs; encouraging private companies to submit their employees to drug tests;
and guaranteeing college loans for students who maintain good grades and
avoid drugs.

Ballenger emphasized that the United States spends $15 billion a year
battling substance abuse.

The U.S. recently contributed $1.3 billion to Colombia to eradicate coca
production in rebel-held territories using U.S.-trained soldiers and American
Black Hawk helicopters.

The Andean region, especially Colombia, is the world's biggest producer of
cocaine while the United States is the world's biggest consumer.

Earlier this year, Colombian President Andres Pastrana and Mexican President
Vicente Fox criticized Washington's annual certification of other countries'
cooperation in the drug war, saying the practice "offends our countries."

During the Wednesday summit, Venezuelan Vice President Adina Bastidas
questioned whether "rich countries" should not shift the resources they spend
on combatting drug trafficking to cutting demand at home.

Interior Minister Luis Miquilena said Venezuela was still concerned that Plan
Colombia would lead to coca production spilling into Venezuela. Venezuela is
not a narcotics-producing nation, but it is key transit point for Colombian
cocaine being smuggled into the U.S. and Europe.

"We understand that drug production in Colombia will spill over. But we argue
... that the biggest threat to Venezuela is not getting control of (coca
production in) Colombia," Souder said.

The House of Representatives last month passed a $15.2 billion foreign aide
bill that includes $676 million allotted for helping the Andean region fight
drug trafficking. The bill is awaiting discussion in the Senate.

Email this story | Printer-friendly version

Father of S. Africa President Dies (Previous story)
Pope Seeks Apology for Slave Trade (Next story)

International News from AP