Title: Message
Combative Milosevic in Court Showdown
Prosecutor to Press Charges of Genocide in Bosnia

Slobodan Milosevic in Court Former Yugoslavian president Slobodan Milosevic, flanked by two guards, takes a seat at the U.N. tribunal in The Hague. (Peter Dejong - AFP)

By Abigail Levene
Reuters
Thursday, August 30, 2001; 7:29 AM

THE HAGUE, Aug 30—Slobodan Milosevic staged a second showdown with the Hague war crimes court on Thursday, forcing judges to silence a sneering tirade against charges he called "false" and a tribunal he said was illegal.

The ousted Yugoslav leader, charged with crimes against humanity for Kosovo atrocities in 1999, was fiercely combative as he faced the court alone. He has refused to appoint defence counsel in a display of contempt for the U.N. tribunal.

"I am not recognising this tribunal, having a clear opinion which is proved by legal facts that this tribunal is illegal. I don't see why I have to defend myself in front of a false tribunal from false indictments," the 60-year-old former Serb strongman spat out in accented English.

It was the second court appearance by Milosevic, the most prominent European to face an international war crimes court since Nazi leaders were tried in Nuremberg after World War Two.

"I am discriminated against all the time from the first day I got in," the defendant said. He complained he was denied access to his family and lawyers.

Chief U.N. prosecutor Carla Del Ponte told reporters after the hearing that she would sign further indictments against Milosevic for alleged crimes in Bosnia and Croatia on October 1, and he would be indicted on the tribunal's gravest charge -- genocide—for Bosnia.

"It will be for genocide in Bosnia. Croatia is still open," Del Ponte told reporters.

The Hague court broke new ground this month with its first conviction for genocide, jailing former Bosnian Serb general Radislav Krstic for 46 years for the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.

Judges on Thursday ordered the appointment of a so-called "amicus curiae" lawyer—or "friend of the court"—to assist the court in securing a fair trial for Milosevic despite his lack of counsel.

They rejected a prosecution request to impose a lawyer for Milosevic, saying he had made plain his desire to defend himself and it would be wrong to force counsel on him.

Spirited out of Serbia two months ago by the reformers who deposed him in October, Milosevic made a defiant first tribunal appearance on July 3, refusing to plead and forcing judges to enter not guilty pleas for him.

Now, as then, presiding Judge Richard May cut off the accused's microphone to silence a stream of invective.

"Mr Milosevic, we are not going to listen to these political arguments," said May, adjourning the so-called status conference after around half an hour.

Judge May said the next status conference—a standard pre-trial hearing to allow lawyers, judges and accused to review the progress of the case—would be held on October 29.

A date should be fixed early next year for the start of the trial, May told the court. Del Ponte said the trial itself might not begin for another year.

He stressed the time that had elapsed since Milosevic was indicted in May 1999, as NATO bombed military targets in Yugoslavia following a Serb crackdown in Kosovo.

Milosevic faces three charges of crimes against humanity, including mass murder and deportation, and one of violations of the laws or customs of war during Serb "ethnic cleansing" against Kosovo Albanians.

"It's important that this indictment, two years old, is tried," May said.

Milosevic eagerly took up the theme.

"I was indicted the 26th of May—the 60th day of NATO aggression against Yugoslavia, when I was defending my country. There are 2-1/2 years from that day and we have just heard that they have no evidence, that they cannot complete an indictment," he said.

The tribunal rejected Milosevic's complaints about his access to lawyers and to his family. He has been visited twice by his wife Mira Markovic.

Tribunal spokesman Jim Landale told Reuters Milosevic had seen at least six lawyers. "He has had over 45 hours of visiting time with his wife, and over 20 hours from other family members," Landale said.

Richard Dicker, director of the international justice programme at Human Rights Watch, said Milosevic's showman style would not help him when the trial began.

"The ability to make this into a circus, to demean the process, by seeming to be obstructionist, will be harder to do in the face of the facts," Dicker told Reuters. "Ten thousand people were slaughtered in Kosovo in a few months time."

(Additional reporting by Paul Gallagher and Eric Onstad)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/

© 2001 Reuters

www.antic.org