Excerpt:

Westerners should be wary of the extent to which the envoys of their countries are giving Western-style democracy a bad name in Belarus.  The OSCE Advisory and Monitoring Group chief in Belarus, Hans Georg Wieck, former head of West German intelligence service, participated in an opposition demonstration in central Minsk the day before the parliamentary election last year.  US Ambassador Kozak was active in Latin America, when,  ironically, anti-Communist “death squads” and “disappearances” were every day events. He played a major role in coordinating US "democracy assistance" to the Nicaraguan opposition in the elections there in February, 1990 _ along with Mark Palmer, another critic of Belarus today.

Various official Western agencies and spokesmen seem determined to pre-judge the outcome of the presidential elections in Belarus. The disjuncture between the active election campaign witnessed on the ground in Belarus and their statements denying it are a worrying phenomenon. Why do OSCE officials fail to notice opposition posters and activists in the streets or opposition candidates’ speaking for up to half an hour at a time on state television?

Report from BHHRG