[From one of the citadels of human rights,
civilisation, open-kiss-my-arse wretched imperialist
powers comes this inspiring report.
Like bullying cowards always they pick on targets -
inside and outside their countries - that can't
possibly defend themselves.
Proud of your despicable self, Tony Blair? Jack
Straw?]

Tuesday September 4 8:48 AM ET
Protestants Terrorize N.Irish Girls Second Day
By Louise McCall
BELFAST, Northern Ireland (Reuters) - Irate
Protestants hurling stones and abuse terrorized scores
of Roman Catholic girls for a second day Tuesday as
they walked to school under massive security in
Belfast.
Columns of military trucks and police with riot
shields formed a corridor for the children, some as
young as three, to enter a school in a Protestant area
of north Belfast, where there was widespread rioting
overnight.
``I was really terrified, I was really scared,创 said
six-year-old Roisin, who entered the Holy Cross Girls
Primary School under police protection, past mobs of
Protestants.
Similar scenes at the same school Monday prompted
comparisons with attempts to desegregate schools in
the American south in the 1950s.
Unlike Monday, when there were gaps in police
security, the Protestants were held mostly onto side
streets and their numbers were smaller, but they were
just as angry.
``Fenian bastards,创 some shouted, while others yelled
``You are the scum of the earth.创 Fenians were
pro-independence Irish agitators in the 19th century.
One policeman apparently suffered a broken collarbone
when a pipe bomb was thrown at police lines, police
said.
At least 10 other police were injured by objects
thrown, police said, but they reported no injuries to
the girls or their parents.
Most of the 200 girls made it to school, either on the
main road past the screaming mobs or by a back
entrance. Protestants made no attempt to block access
from the back.
A huge force of police and army remained on hand well
into the day.
The scenes of raw hatred that greeted the parents
trying to take their children to Holy Cross for the
second day of the new school term were a major setback
to the crumbling Northern Ireland peace process.
``All the armory, it磗 extraordinary that we磖e
actually standing here...standing with tanks behind
us,创 Father Aidan Troy, chairman of the school磗
board of governors, told Sky television.
``And let磗 remember it磗 small girls going to
school.创
FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL
One woman taking her two children to school, one for
her first time, said her daughter would think ``every
day at school is like this.创
Monday's attack made the front pages of all major
British newspapers and was the lead story on
television and radio news.
Across the sectarian divide, Protestant and Catholic
church leaders in Northern Ireland called for an end
to the terrorizing of the schoolgirls.
``Nothing could justify the attacks on little children
of any denomination,创 Church of Ireland primate Dr.
Robin Eames said in a statement.
Catholic Bishop Patrick Walsh, after meeting with
parents and children at Holy Cross, said he was
horrified by the scenes, and by overnight rioting, but
hoped for an end to the trouble.
``I was heartened by the strong and trenchant
statements made by the main Protestant church leaders
appealing to people to stop their protests and
blockade,创 Walsh said.
SENSE OF SECURITY
People in Belfast, who have become accustomed to a
feeling of relative security since the 1998 Good
Friday Accord brought power sharing between
Protestants and Catholics in the British-ruled
province, were shocked by the latest sign that hatred
can blow up at the least provocation.
Protestants living in the area told reporters that
Catholics living nearby were to blame, for harassing
people trying to go to local shops or pick up their
pension checks.
Parents of children at the Catholic school, which when
it was built was in a mixed area that has since become
mostly Protestant, were upset and outraged by the
reception that greeted them Monday and again Tuesday
on the Ardoyne Road, leading to the school's main
entrance.
``It was a terrifying experience, it was really
frightening walking here today,创 said Denise Benson,
taking her 10-year-old daughter Lisa to school. ``This
was a nightmare.创
Many families were put off by threats of violence from
an extremist Protestant paramilitary group against any
Catholics taking their children to the school.
``I take it very seriously...It would be a reason not
to walk up that road because I am not under any
illusion that they would not carry it out,创 said Ann,
whose eight-year-old daughter attends Holy Cross
School.
The British government and community leaders have
appealed for an end to the dispute that dates back to
June, when rioting flared, inflaming tension in the
city's cheek-by-jowl Protestant and Roman Catholic
zones.
A peace process is being negotiated in the province
after cease-fires by major pro-Irish and pro-British
guerrilla groups. But political wrangling and renegade
violence have put the Good Friday accord under
increasing strain.

http://im.yahoo.com