NATO'S UNCERTAIN COMMITMENT IN THE BALKANS ***

(Editor's Note: The bombing of Serbia and Kosovo escalated NATO
involvement
in the Balkans, but its military and peacekeeping presence have
increased
without a strategic plan. Now NATO has stepped into the civil conflict
in
Macedonia, but its credibility as a force for pluralistic governance is
being questioned throughout the region. Most agree that international
peacekeepers are needed, but thus far NATO's peacekeeping commitment to
Macedonia appears flawed, shortsighted, and half-hearted. As part of
FPIF's
Self-Determination and Governance project, we are looking closely at
solutions to ethnic conflicts such as those in Macedonia. In a new
commentary produced as part of that effort, Robert Greenberg, who
recently
returned from an extended stay in Macedonia, concludes: "The alternative
the presence of a fully engaged NATO is bleak. If NATO would withdraw
without guaranteeing a peaceful resolution, fighting could easily break
out
again. If NATO does not take its peacekeeping role seriously now, it
will
likely need to return to Macedonia with more troops in the
not-too-distant
future. Concerted action is needed now to prevent yet another region in
the
Balkans from being traumatized by an appalling ethnic war." To read the
entire commentary and other analysis about self-determination issues,
visit
FPIF's self-determination page:

http://www.fpif.org/selfdetermination/index.html.)