[Via Communist Internet... http://www.egroups.com/group/Communist-Internet ]

[Subscribe: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
.
.Australia Warned of US-China Crossfire.

The national security adviser to the former US President Bill Clinton warned
that Australia would be caught in the crossfire between the United States
and China if the Bush Administration persisted in rushing to develop a
missile defense shield.
Sandy Berger was interviewed by the Australian daily The Sydney Morning
Herald on the eve of Prime Minister John Howard's visit to the United
States.
Berger said hard-line elements in the Bush Administration viewed China as
the new enemy. "If we treat China like an enemy we 'll make China an enemy.
America's presence in Asia should be as a stabilizing factor not as a
provocative factor," he emphasized.
Berger questioned the cause for developing the missile defense system,
saying that "we're moving too fast on missile defense. There is a potential
rogue state missile threat that we need to deal with, but it's one of a
range of security interests, it's not necessarily the greatest threat we
have."
Apparently aimed at the US plan to strengthen its Asian security alliances,
he pointed out that "it's unwise to put our allies -- whether it's Japan or
Australia -- in a spot where they are caught in the middle."
He expressed he didn't believe Australia wants to be placed in "a crossfire
". "I don't think it's necessary," he said.
The Howard Government is the unique unreserved supporter over the world to
the Bush Administration's missile defense system plan.
On the same day, the daily published accidentally an article entitled "The
point is, prime minister, this is where we live", criticizing the
government's foreign policy.
It said frankly that "Howard has led us away from Asia and the Pacific, and
back towards a "reinvigorated" security alliance with the United States, at
a time when Washington's own foreign and defense policies are facing
increasing criticism."
Prime Minister Howard is heading to the United States later Saturday to mark
the 50th anniversary of the Australia-New Zealand- America security treaty
and to hammer out a more solid Australia-US relationship.

****