Smedley Butler also foiled the fascist conspiracy to take over the US in
1934. One of the leading conspirators in it was the lawyer who took
Segregation's side in the Brown v. Bd. of Ed case in 1953-4, John Davis. Wall
Street was heavily involved, including leading bankers. The ruling class
tried organizing an  army out of the Veterans of Foreign wars. They thought
that Butler would support a right wing coup; he had spoken on behalf of trhe
Bonus Marchers in 1931. They thought he was a dumb populist.

Butler was disgusted by the idea of a fascist takeover, and  he revealed
their plot.