"I am sorry for those in the World Trade Center, but
not for those in the Pentagon. Those people there
bombed us."
"It is probably some of their friends who did it,
anyway."

Two Years After NATO Bombings, There is Little
Sympathy with U.S. Among Yugoslavs

BELGRADE, Sep 13, 2001 -- (dpa) Terror attacks on the
World Trade Center and the Pentagon, broadcast
virtually live on local television, drew much
attention in Belgrade, but two years after the NATO
bombing campaign against Yugoslavia, the havoc on
American streets won little sympathy here.

While political leaders did condemn the attack using
hijacked passenger planes as bombs, many of the people
in the streets were closer to saying that they
survived similar treatment at the hands of the United
States and other NATO states.

"I am sorry for those in the World Trade Center, but
not for those in the Pentagon. Those people there
bombed us," said a man in a video store.

"It is probably some of their friends who did it,
anyway," he added, reflecting the common belief in
Yugoslavia that the United States support ethnic
Albanian extremists in the Balkans and other similar
groups elsewhere.

NATO bombed Yugoslavia for 78 days in 1999, until it
forced Belgrade to pull the police and army out of
Kosovo and allow an international peacekeeping mission
into the province, dominantly populated by ethnic
Albanians.

Even Yugoslav leaders, including President Vojislav
Kostunica, made a point of saying that terror is the
same everywhere, in the U.S. and in the Kosovo and
Macedonia, where dozens of civilians were killed in
attacks over the previous two years.

Aleksandar, an owner of a shop in central Belgrade,
said that "Americans are paying the price for putting
their nose into too many places".

Responding to an objection that the people in New York
had nothing to do with the U.S. foreign policy, he
said: "I had nothing with (Slobodan) Milosevic's
policy, but the Americans bombed me."

"New York is undoubtedly horrible, but Pentagon
burning does not bother me at all," he said. "Look at
the defense ministry ... now they have rubble to look
at" he added, referring to some of NATO targets in
Belgrade, which are devastated but still standing.

Most people said they were horrified with images of
carnage and suffering, but blamed Washington for
bringing it about.

A columnist with the weekly Vreme, Stojan Cerovic,
said Washington would have to reconsider its policies.

"Will anybody in America seriously wonder if the
American foreign policy provokes and supports these
desperate attacks ... what created these suicidal
avenger and why is so much malice in the world
directed at America," he wrote in Thursday's edition
of the paper.

He said that the prime suspect for Tuesday's attacks,
Osama bin Laden, is a guest of the Taliban, who were
formerly trained and supported by the U.S. to make war
on the former Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

"It should conclude that its vulnerability cannot be
solved by technical means ... someone in Washington
should think out how to reduce the production of
desperate people in some parts of the world, or at
least how to take the 'made in America' label off of
the product," Cerovic wrote.

(C)2001. dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur