"Three of Turkey's neighbors - Iran, Iraq and Syria -
are on Washington's list of countries supporting
terrorism."

[The three targets listed above are secular regimes
with no remote connection to Osama bin Laden, quite
the contrary, unlike U.S./Western client states  Saudi
Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Bahrain,
Oman and Kuwait, all monarchies or theocracies. which
do.]

Saturday September 15, 12:32 AM
Turkish leaders pledge support to NATO action on US
attacks
ANKARA, Sept 14 (AFP) -
Turkish leaders on Friday expressed their full backing
for a possible joint NATO action under the Alliance's
collective defence clause to punish those behind the
devastating terrorist attacks in the United States.
In an interview with CNN International broadcast on
Friday, Turkish Prime Minister Bulent Ecevit said that
NATO-member Ankara would take part in a joint NATO
strike even if it targeted one of its neighbours.
Ecevit justified such an action on the grounds that
terrorism had "no boundaries" and was "inhuman from
wherever it comes from".
"Whoever inflicts terrorism on humanity on any country
should be dealt with very seriously," he said.
For the first time in its history on Wednesday, NATO
invoked Article 5 following Tuesday's strike against
the twin-tower World Trade Center in New York and the
Pentagon in Washington.
Under the said article, an attack on a member is
considered an attack on the entire alliance.
Three of Turkey's neighbours -- Iran, Iraq and Syria
-- are on Washington's list of countries supporting
terrorism.
Asked whether Turkey would allow a key air base in its
south to be used in a NATO campaign, the prime
minister refrained from giving a definite answer, but
added: "Of course in principle we will cooperate with
the NATO countries and with other allies."
The Incirlik air base is host to a force of some 40
British and US planes which are tasked with patrolling
the no-fly zone imposed on northern Iraq after the
1991 Gulf War to protect the region's Kurdish
population.
During the Gulf War, Turkey allowed the base to be
used in the air campaign against Iraqi President
Saddam Hussein.
Ecevit declared that Turkey was "prepared for all
sorts of possibilities".
Turkish President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, meanwhile,
expressed hope Friday that NATO's collective defence
clause would apply equally to all member states.
"I hope that the activation of Article Five for this
type of attack will apply to other members as well and
not only the United States," he told reporters here.
Some 36,500 people have died in Turkey in the last two
decades as rebel Kurds fighting for an independent
state in the southeast of the country have carried out
regular terrorist attacks.
"We are ready to share with our friends our
experiences in the domain of terrorism," he said.