From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 CC:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject : [globenet] The New Security State
Date : Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:41:45 EDT

     Not only does the post-attack mood of the country pretty much end any
effective opposition to a full NMD and abrogation of the ABM Treaty, it also
is creating the base for a comprehensive security state.  This is likely to
be introduced piecemeal, with the "Combating Terrorism Act" (HR2500/SA1562)
being the first to be passed, mandating the use of header analyzer equipment
(without wiretap orders) at ISPs, banning citizens' use of strong
encryption,
etc.

  This is likely to be followed by an executive order allowing the NSA to
get back into domestic surveillance, and there already is talk of eventual
legislation in 2002 mandating the use of electronic smart cards as universal
IDs for U.S. citizens.

    Kudos to the Electronic Frontier Foundation for being one of the first
speak out about the new legislation.  Go to
http://www.eff.org/alerts/20010917_eff_wiretap_alert.html and contact your
member of Congress.

  We are going to be in a distinct minority on both military budget issues
and civil liberties issues, but it's important that we don't use the attacks
to move to a total-surveillance state, lest we lose the very things that
make the USA unique.

Loring Wirbel
CPIS/PPJPC
Monument, Colo.